Friday, June 12, 2009

Moms Learn There's More to Parenting Than Having the Baby

Focus on Families, BCI's parenting program, held graduation on June 10 for six moms and their kids. There was lunch, cake and presentation of certificates. The moms talked about what they learned in the 16 week program:

“[I learned] how to deal more with my daughter, and her attitude and her mouth, instead of cursing and getting angry and hollering at her all the time. That was a big issue, I always hollered at her for anything. Now I know how to discipline her, and talk to her in more of a constructive way.”

“What I got out of the program was how to deal with your children of all ages. I’ve also learned how to frame sentences better, and how to put words in sentences better. I also learned that you can be a parent, but it takes a mother to be a parent - or a father to be a parent - not just to have the baby, but to spend quality time with the child. Also that you can discipline a child, by not hitting a child, by timeout, learning how to say no, and just not abuse your child by hitting.”

“I learned how to step back and take a look at things. My favorite thing was to jump in and yell and scream, and I’ve gotten better with that, I think. I’ve gotten a little better with communication with my kids. It’s taught me quite a bit to deal with my oldest.”

We also asked our graduates why they would recommend Focus on Families to others:

“It is wonderful. If you take your time and really appreciate what the information has to offer, and what the facilitators have to offer, and you really put your heart into it, you get out what you put into it. It’s a wonderful program if you are ready to learn, and willing to take it all in, and actually do the work. It’s wonderful.”

“It’s lots of homework, but the homework is so that you can take it home and you can think about it more. Instead of getting it done real fast in class, it gives you time to get inside yourself more.”

“I did the program twice, and the second time I got even more out of it than I did the first time. If you want to improve yourself as being a good parent, not just raising a kid, but to actually be able to deal with your kids, to bring them up in a more positive way than you were brought up, I think that you should take advantage of the program and what it has to offer.”

The next round of Focus on Families begins Monday June 22, from 11 AM to 12 Noon at 2713 Lancaster Avenue. Group takes place Mondays and Thursdays from 11 AM to 12 Noon. Focus on Families is free and you do not have to be a BCI client. For more information or to sign up, please contact Jackie Akins at 656-2348, ext. 118.

No comments: