Friday, October 26, 2007

5 Questions for Edna Maldonado, Case Manager

5 Questions is our ongoing feature where we introduce you to the people who make Brandywine Counseling run, spotlighting a different staff member every two weeks.

Name: Edna Maldonado
Job: Case Manager, NSAFE
Time with BCI: 1 year


1. Tell us about your job at BCI.
I’m a case manager. I help clients that are HIV/AIDS positive remain healthy and live productive lives. Clients may come to our office very depressed after learning they are HIV positive or diagnosed with AIDS. The diagnosis alone can devastate a client. Some think they have received a “death sentence;” for others it may lead to feelings of suicide. I have to reassure them this is not the case because of today’s advances in medicine. So part of my job is to educate the clients about their disease.

In order to have a successful relationship with my clients, I must first develop a trusting relationship. I allow them to know they are in a safe environment where all conversations are confidential. Once the clients are stable, I develop an individualized care plan to prioritize their needs. I will then provide advocacy and linkages to a wide array of community services like food, shelter, and clothing.

I am also bilingual. My caseload consists of Hispanic HIV infected clients and the general population as well. Frequently, I have to accompany my clients to their medical, dental, or social security appointments to assist them with the language barrier. On many instances, they bring me letters to translate into Spanish from other agencies, including from immigration services. It does take much physical and mental energy switching from one language to another, but I love what I do. I enjoy helping my clients and providing these culturally competent services.

2. What drew you to a career in social services?
In my heart I always wanted to be a social worker, even though my degree is in Education. When residing in Connecticut, ten years ago, I was given the opportunity to work with the homeless population. This was an experience of a lifetime. To be able to help the most unfortunate people you can find and making a difference in their lives, that is what drew me to continue working in social services, so here I am.

3. What advice do you have for someone who would like to do the job you do?
I believe a case manager’s most important characteristic is to be compassionate and caring for others. Many people are afraid to work with the problem of HIV. I believe that we have to face the problem and be willing to help it, and be compassionate.

4. If you had $30,000 to donate to BCI, what would you do with it?
I would like to have a job training center for our clients who have difficulty getting jobs because of their histories. To give these people an opportunity to get some training, learn something, and at the same time, in that place, being able to employ them. I believe that would be a great empowerment tool for our clients.

5. What is rewarding about your work?
Since I have been here, the most rewarding thing for me is to be able to reach these clients that otherwise have no one else to help them. The fact that I can help these clients to become very productive, and empower them to live a successful life, that’s a big satisfaction for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea about the jobs---

Anonymous said...

That's my sister! Always willing to give of her time and knowledge to help others less fortunate. She talks about her job with great pride and wish she could do more but she is limited by the resources at hand. Great job! Keep up the good work; U R in our prayers, Sis!